On the first day of Pride Month, PartySlate was proud to host 3 LGBTQ+ leaders for an important conversation on how they are advocating for change and inclusivity in the event industry. PartySlate Founder and CEO Julie Roth Novack sat down with the experts to discuss actionable steps you can take to be authentically inclusive and grow your business to better serve the LGBTQ+ community. Panelists included:
- Chanda Daniels, Founder of A Monique Affair, Vice President of National Gay Wedding Association (NGWA)
- Kirsten Ott Palladino, Editorial Director & Cofounder of Equally Wed and Equally Wed Pro
- Ric Simmons, Executive Director & Founder of National Gay Wedding Association (NGWA)
When planning his own wedding, Simmons faced roadblocks with non-inclusive wedding vendors. Simmons asked himself, “Why am I having all of this pushback just because of who I love?”. This question led him to create NGWA, an association committed to creating inclusive awareness for wedding professionals through supporting partnerships, continuing education, and being an active advocate for LGBTQ+ couples.
Palladino discussed a similar experience when she also found it difficult to find LGBTQ+ inclusive wedding vendors. Palladino said she sought out to create a solution that would “open minds and hearts through education and empathy.” Equally Wed is an international online LGBTQ+ wedding magazine, book, and education resource for LGBTQ+ couples and LGBTQ+ inclusive wedding professionals. Equally Wed gives the LGBTQ+ community more wedding professionals to choose from “who will not just tolerate the LGBTQ+ community, but celebrate them.”
Daniels founded her business, A Monique Affair, to design and plan beautiful events while making sure her clients feel safe, understood, and taken care of. Daniels is the Vice President of NGWA, Equally Wed Pro certified, and is also a member of National Society of Black Wedding and Event Professionals (NSBWEP).
Are you looking for more ways to educate yourself and support the LGBTQ+ community? You can:
- Attend NGWA’s upcoming “Share-the-Love” Inclusive Awareness Conference, a place to connect with like-minded LGBTQ+ wedding professionals for support, education, and advocacy. This conference has virtual or live in-person ticket options and will take place on January 4-6, 2022 in Indian Wells, California.
- Get certified with Equally Wed Pro, a certification course that provides wedding and event professionals with actionable steps for understanding how to best serve the LGBTQ+ community, build an LGBTQ+ client base, and network with LGBTQ+ inclusive creatives. PartySlate members save 20% on Equally Wed Pro; just send us an email for the code.
- Use PartySlate’s new diversity filter which allows you to easily find event professionals based on the diverse backgrounds you would like to support.
PartySlate is a photo-rich platform that inspires people planning all types of events and connects them with leading event professionals and venues worldwide. More than 15,000 event professionals use their PartySlate profiles to build their brands, connect with industry peers, and drive new leads.
If you are interested in receiving a copy of the presentation, a list of LGBTQ+ educational resources, or more information about Equally Wed Pro or NGWA’s Inclusive Awareness Conference, please email us.
You can watch the full digital event recording below or open the recording in YouTube.