Live Event Painter Anthony Galati captured the gorgeously intricate mandap at this Philadelphia-based ceremony. Blooms and candles float in vases leading to the stunning structure. Galati painstakingly recreated the luxe gold and deep reds in the mandap’s repetitive geometric shapes as well as the soft uplighting that gave the wedding a magical glow.
A mandap is a temporary ceremonial structure at Hindu or Jain weddings. They were traditionally built from wood, but newer designs often incorporate draping, flowers and crystals. Sonal J. Shah, Founder and CEO of eponymous event planning company, Sonal J. Shah Event Consultants, recently spoke with PartySlate about mandap trends. “Modern Indian weddings often feature mandaps with heavy florals. We like to incorporate hanging elements like blooms suspended from the canopy (which looks great in photos!), and appreciate open designs that offer great visibility for guests – especially for larger weddings,” she says.
Mandap styles can range from organic to glamorous. Shah adds natural whimsy with floral branches and adores cherry blossoms when they’re in season. She says that her team loves experimenting with less traditional shapes like oval and round mandaps. Here we share 26 Indian wedding mandap ideas from real ceremonies in settings as diverse as formal ballrooms and ocean-and-mountainside perches.
This stunning ceremony made beautiful use of its Rhode Island ocean backdrop. Perfect Surroundings, Int’l designed a mandap of simple white draping outfitted with luxe details like gold trim and strands of windswept richly-hued purple florals.
This creative modern floating mandap from Los Angeles-based Nahid’s Global Events and Shawna Yamamoto Event design is suspended from a towering ceiling ballroom ceiling at the Renaissance Indian Wells Resort. Beautifully draped in strings of glittering crystals and miles of luxe white orchids, it’s a statement-making design.
Event Planner, Design House Decor, created a glamorous organic setting in a ballroom at the Sheraton Parsippany. Joseph Lin Photography beautifully captured the hundreds of swirling hand-opened roses adorning this romantic mandap from RB Event Design. Hanging white wisteria added drama to the breathtaking structure.
With violet uplighting and a mix of hot and soft pinks, this vibrant mandap from Table 6 Productions in Florida is decked out in glorious floating florals from Occasions by Shangri-La. Modern brass supports decorated in strings of red carnations suspend the draped confection.
This St. Pete Beach, Florida wedding used beachy coral shades, dark bamboo and strung pearls for a mandap from Tracie Domino Events that evoked nature’s coastal bounty. Suhaag Garden outfitted the sleek structure with decadent florals in vibrant colors.
The awe-inspiring mandap at this Indian ceremony utilized a greenery wall to dramatic effect and red florals that popped against the natural backdrop. Chicago-based Christina Currie Events, Inc. created a royal scene with gold, gold and more gold accenting everything from the aisle and pillars to the chairs.
The nature-set mandap at this White Hall Events-planned wedding manages to be both refined and untamed. Port Jervis, New York provided a slope and pine tree filled backdrop while Design House Decor used wildly curving branches and rich florals in shades of red and pink to keep guests’ attention focused on the beautiful ceremony.
The clear acrylic supports of this modern mandap from Rock N’ Events allowed the ornate window and gorgeous view beyond to take center stage. A giant palm frond accenting one side of the structure brings the outside in as do the vivid coral and white florals which stretch across the. canopy and cascade down the alternate side.
Chicago-based Rebecca Marie Photography captured this exquisite tented affair by The Party Helpers, Inc. Soft white drapery accented by rich red petals led to a gorgeous mandap featuring ethereal gold fabric and a floral wall accent for a modern yet classic feel.
We adore the hidden glitz in this mandap from Bliss Weddings and Events. Its canopy – covered in gold sequins – made a luxurious statement along with the vivid florals running its supports. The base of the colorful structure was outfitted in classic white carpet and ornate all-white chairs.
This gorgeous wedding ceremony, set in The Addison Park in New Jersey, is the embodiment of luxury. New York-based photographer Philip Van Nostrand beautifully captured the floral-flanked aisle leading to the colorfully-draped mandap and its chic canopy of all-white blooms.
This red and orange floral mandap masterpiece from Infinite Events and Sayles Livingston Design enhanced the Newport, Rhode Island water view with strands of glorious colorful blooms that look as if they’re floating. The structure was chic and intimate.
This Event Creative mandap made use of its Chicago Bridgeport Art Center’s outdoor setting with a metal design that evoked a lovely garden trellis. Strands of midair blooms reinforced the feeling. Nicodem Creative captured the flow of the lovely draping that finished the look.
- Event planner, Sabrina Hans Events, envisioned a luxe affair that beautifully fit the historic grandeur of Chicago’s The Drake Hotel. The seemingly miles-long aisle at the stunning ceremony was flanked by gilded peacocks, perfectly captured by Jai Girard Photography. Richly-hued petals led to a Yanni Design Studio-created clear acrylic mandap with gorgeous floating florals.
This epic South Asian celebration highlighted its New York waterfront view at Pier Sixty with a mandap canopy of white ruffled fabric as envisioned by Tara Manchanda Events. Atlas Floral Decorators strung ethereal florals floating against the fall sky.
This glamorous modern Seattle wedding from New York-based Premini Events featured a chic mirrored mandap. The structure was draped with white florals from Flora Nova while Evolutions Rentals utilized stylish ghost chairs that perfectly fit the contemporary design of the ballroom-set ceremony.
- New York-based event planner, Sonal J. Shah Event Consultants, conjured this gorgeous mandap vision with decor and florals from Atlas Floral Decorators. Salwa Photography expertly captured the luxurious red, pink and purple blooms and twisting vines adorning the structure’s canopy and supports in the beautiful ballroom setting at The Rockleigh.
- Utilizing traditional red and gold, event planner Sonal J. Shah Event Consultants worked with Elegant Affairs decor for a decidedly nontraditional luxurious mandap. Hundreds of strands of ivory flowers tipped in red roses and ornamental gold balls were suspended above ornate gilded chairs at The Plaza New York. Golden palm fronds amped the glam even more.
This outdoor ceremony in Sands Point, New York, made beautiful use of the wind with a mandap of billowing jewel-tone silk drapery. Lifetime Events by Jacqueline created a communal space of enveloped beauty with strings of white blooms from Shadi Paradise and a sparkling chandelier at the structure’s center.
- Fleurs de France strung florals from the back of this rustic glam mandap. The Napa, California landscape married perfectly with the branches winding the supports topped with wild red blooms at this Cole Drake Events-planned wedding.
- Dripping pink florals from Elegant Affairs add whimsy to this stunning mandap while a sparkling chandelier adds even more glamour. Event planner, Tara Manchanda, created a modern, yet traditional, ceremonial garden spot for this gorgeous Indian wedding.
This draped masterpiece from Kehoe Designs featured gorgeous layered fabric in luxe neutral tones. The red chairs draw guests’ eyes to the familial area which was backed by a stunning floral Ganesh – remover of beginnings, God of beginnings.
- LOLA Event Productions located the perfect spot for this outdoor ceremony at Chicago’s lush Morton Arboretum. This stunning mandap gathered all of nature’s best with blooms from Exquisite Designs adorning its canopy and its dreamy floral backdrop, beautifully captured by photographer Nicodem Creative.
This ethereal floating mandap from Clementine Custom Events and Yanni Design Studio gives the impression of a gorgeous floral cloud raining down lush blooms – even its height (thanks to the towering ceilings at the Loews Chicago Hotel) adds to the illusion.
Luxe sheer white and gold fabric frames the sweeping city view stretched behind this Wrap It Up Parties-planned ceremony at Chicago’s Adler Planetarium. The mandap’s supports gleam gold while its canopy is pure floral magic from Kehoe Designs.
PartySlate is the place where leading event professionals share their work with the world. Find new ideas by viewing and saving hundreds of thousands of beautiful event photos from weddings to birthday parties, corporate events to galas. Easily connect with the best local event professionals and find stunning venues. Sign up now »