I owe my happy marriage of 23 years (and counting) to my dog Kirby. I met my husband-to-be at a park; he started playing fetch with Kirby before eventually wandering over to see if the pup was mine. Soon, we introduced Kirby to his dog, Max, and the two accompanied us on all kinds of adventures during our courtship.
Like me, it could be that your pup has been with you through all of your ups and downs, maybe even longer than your beloved has. It’s natural to want to include your other best friend in your celebration. The good news is that there are many creative ways to incorporate your dog into your wedding.
In fact, we’ve got 17 ideas for you, drawing inspiration from real dog-loving wedding couples. Read on for inspiration, then start planning your own unique wedding on PartySlate.
1. Pup in Print: Include Your Dog on Your Wedding Invitation
2. Paws for Love: Let Fido Join You While You Get Ready
3. Dog Wedding Attire: Dress Your Canine to the Nines
4. Doggie Décor: Flank Your Fluffy Friend in Florals
5. Something Old & New: Honor Your Hound in Your Wedding Traditions
6. Smooch Your Pooch: Kiss Your Four-Legged Family
7. Four Legs Are Twice as Cute: Let Your Pup Walk Down Aisle
8. Bow Wows & Vows: Invite Your Pup to the Altar
9. Picture-Perfect Pup: Strike a Pose With Your Fur Family
10. Sit, Stay: Feature Your Dog on Seating Signage
11. Worth a Thousand Woofs: Include Your Dog’s Image at Your Reception
12. A Different Kind of Tail: Let Your Pup Inspire Custom Cocktails
13. Treat Time: Put a Smile on Your Guests’ Faces With Dog-Inspired Nibbles
14. Pup Pastry: Recreate Fido in Frosting
15. Cake Ornamentation: Consider a Dogger Topper
16. Doggie Dance: Invite Your Pup to the Floor
17. If You’re Going, I’m Going: Include Your Pup in Your Sweet Goodbye
17. Doggie Donation: Do Rescue Pups a Favor With Your Favor
And an Honorable Mention to Our Feline Friends…
People Also Ask…
Should I include my dog in my wedding?
The ideas above offer ways to include your dog, both in person and in spirit. If you’d really like to have your dog present at your wedding, there are are some considerations to keep in mind:
Does my venue allow pets?
Do I have someone who can watch my dog at the event?
Will my dog be comfortable in a new environment with a large group of people?
Where will my dog go at the end of the evening? If to your hotel, do they allow pets?
You will also need to plan for your dog’s meal and make sure there’s a place for your dog to, well, conduct business. Having your dog present will no doubt bring lots of smiles to your special day, but it also brings complications. Work with your skilled event planner to sidestep potential issues.
If the list above feels overwhelming, but you still want to honor your pup at your wedding, there are many ways to do so (see above), from signage or napkins with your dog’s picture to a signature cocktail that’ll have your guests saying Fido’s name all night long.
We love how J&L Catering reinvigorates the Chicago foodie scene with a custom catering experience that puts you and your guests first. Expect to find sustainable and responsibly-sourced ingredients, personalized service, and artful presentations — for a memorable celebration that elevates the art of dining.